Romans 13:12 The night is spent, the day is at hand. Therefore let us cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armor of light.
If we could withstand evil without the Armor of God, He wouldn’t have provided it for us. This armor is not just defensive but also offensive as well. What the armor is:
(From Ephesians 6:14-18)
- Gird our waist with truth. Ask God for discernment so that we don’t allow deception to take root. Know the truth and live it (John 8:31-32).
- Put on the Breastplate of Righteousness. Cover ourselves with Jesus’ righteousness. Choose to live according to God’s Word (Ephesians 4:26-27).
- Shoe our feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Jesus has already provided us peace. We must choose to walk in it. The enemy wants us to worry and fret, but Jesus has removed all the reasons we have to be fearful.
- Take the Shield of Faith. The enemy’s arrows are armed at our hearts so that we become discouraged, but our faith can repel these arrows. Our faith gets stronger when we read God’s Word and spend time in prayer (Genesis 15:1; Mark 9:23).
- Take the Helmet of Salvation. The helmet protects us from the lies of the enemy. With it, we are given a new perspective–God’s. Jesus’ death and resurrection gave us the right to wear it.
- Take the Sword of the Spirit (the Word of God). Speak God’s Word. Pray God’s Word. Live God’s Word. Make it a part of us and our armor. Don’t give up (Luke 11:9-10).
“Our prayers are not answered as a way of rewarding us for good behavior, like a child who is promised an ice-cream cone if he behaves in the grocery store. Our obedience to God is evidence that we are in alignment with His will. The most important thing is not to get what we want in prayer, but to accomplish what God wants. We delight ourselves in Him first. We make Him our priority and our greatest desire is to please Him.”¹
[Read Daniel 7-12]
Daniel 9:4 I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed: “O Lord, you are a great and awesome God! You always fulfill your covenant and keep your promises of unfailing love to those who love you and obey your commands.”
Help me to put on the full armor You have provided for me. Thank You for providing a way to combat the lies and deception of the enemy as well as a way to attack him head-on. Keep me grounded in Your Word so that I know the truth. Give me discernment. Don’t allow worry to cloud my perspective. Remind me to pray when I am tempted. Amen.