Ephesians 4:22-24 Throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God–truly righteous and holy.
Another one of Satan’s schemes is to drag us back to our old nature and tempt us with our sinful cravings and desires. Our protection against this scheme, according to Paul, is the breastplate of righteousness. The Roman breastplate was made of a metal plate worn over a leather garment which covered the chest. The spiritual equivalent is righteousness. Both protect from a lethal blow to the chest or heart.
There are four kinds of righteousness talked about in the Bible:
- Perfect Righteousness–God’s level of righteousness which no man can attain.
- Comparative Righteousness–Our personal behavior conforms to God’s moral and ethical standards.
- Imputed Righteousness–Knowing that humans can’t live up to God’s righteous character demands, love caused God to accept those who trust Him despite their flaws.
- Realized Righteousness–Jesus’ death on the cross allows us to live in harmony with God in the present time. (Breastplate of Righteousness)¹
“The breastplate that protects our vitals from the most deadly of Satan’s thrusts is maintaining a good, holy and righteous lifestyle here and now.”²
There are four entry points that demons can use to gain access to our lives–trauma, a sinful lifestyle, the occult and the family line.
Steps you can take to put off the old nature and put on the new nature:
- Reject the sin and do what honors God
- Confide in a close friend who will pray with you and hold you accountable
- Rely on the Holy Spirit³
Ephesians 6:14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness.
Help me repel the attempts of Satan to terrorize me and get me to return to my old nature. I want to put off the old nature completely and put on the new nature. I am going to put on the breastplate of righteousness daily with the Spirit’s help. Thank You that we can become righteous now through the gift of Your Son and the Holy Spirit. Amen.