John 6:38 “I came down from heaven not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.”
“Jesus’ entire motivation was to advance those causes which cannot be measured physically or materially. These causes can be perceived only by people who are spiritually sensitive.” [p. 175 “The Mind of Christ Workbook“}
Purpose Statements of Jesus
- The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, Because the LORD has anointed me To bring news to the afflicted ; He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted , To proclaim liberty to captives And freedom to prisoners ; To proclaim the favorable year of the LORD And the day vengeance of our God ; To comfort all who mourn, (Isaiah 61:1-2)
- Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me and to accomplish His work. (John 4:34)
- “For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.” (John 6:38)
- But He said to them, “I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, for I was sent for this purpose.” (Luke 4:43)
- “For the Son of Man has come to seek and to save that which was lost.” (Luke 19:10)
- Therefore Pilate said to Him, “So You are a king ?” Jesus answered, “You say correctly that I am a king. For this I have been born, and for this I have come into the world, to testify to the truth.Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice.” (John 18:37)
Jesus’ primary mission while on earth was to seek and save the lost–those who needed His life-giving water–EVERYONE. The fact then, as it is today, was that those who needed Him the most did not accept the gift He offered. They wanted the Messiah they had worked up in their imaginations, not the one who fulfilled Scripture. Sometimes I am a lot like them. I conjure up ways I believe would make my life better, and God says no. Jesus did not come to earth to die so that I could be comfortable, satisfied, rich, or happy in this world. He came so that I could have eternal life in heaven–save so I could live in relationship with the Father.
[Read John 16-18]
John 17:4 “I brought glory to you here on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.”
You have given me the calling to follow in Jesus’ steps by living my life with a purpose that reflects His purposes for life and ministry. Please grant me the wisdom to know Your purposes for my life and ministry and then work through me to accomplish them in Your power. Amen.